FUN OR FOLLY! THE KINGDOM OF SELF AND THE COSTUME KINGDOM!
As Christians, we must be aware of how the kingdom of self is a costume kingdom. Sin is so deceitful it does a amazing job of masquerading as the kingdom of God and our activities as good and godly.
Spiritual fakery is a major work and tool of God’s enemy and our enemy Satan. It produces spiritual blindness. It can be so insidious that we think it is just fine and we are not the least bothered by it.
“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.”
These words of Christ show us that sin and the Devil enjoy looking like and pretending to be something they are not. In another place, we are told that Satan goes around pretending and posing to be an angel of light.
So, the kingdom of sin and self centeredness is a costume kingdom. All of this brings deep down inside spiritual confusion. So many times we think we are engaging in service to God or worshipping Him, when we are actually giving worship and service to some aspect of the creation, even including our own self who we make an idol. Idolatry is so common but yet so covered with the costume of fun and frivolity we can’t see for it blinds us.
In fact, this masquerading idol we allow to control us, has no power at all to deliver to our hungry hearts what Jesus our Lord alone can give to us. We desperately need God to give us insight about this and free us from our bondage to the little costume kingdom we have invented through sins deceptiveness.
Some examples of things that are really sinful idols but appear to fine are:
- Focus on material things, but we pretend it is good stewardship.
- Control, but we pretend it is a gift of God being exercised.
- Anger, many times is just plain I didn’t get my way.
- Self Righteousness Legalism, but we pretend it is a love for God’s law.
- Think we are building God’s kingdom, but all the while it is our own power and abilities rather than God.
- Fear of man, but all the while we think or pretend we are helping someone in need.
- Selfish attention seeking but all the while we pretend it is about open real needs we have.
- Judgmentalism and Criticism can pose as being devoted to honesty.
- Theological pride can be thought of by us as devoted to God’s word and truth.
- Lust can pretend it is just considering something beautiful in creation.
- Gossip is a real bad one for we pretend we are prayerfully considering others and their needs.
Let us cast off these sinful fruits, and take off our masks and quit pretending but rather, confessing and forsaking such things and walk with God in the Spirit mortifying the deeds of the flesh.
THINK ABOUT THAT TODAY! LET US QUIT CLOWNING AROUND AND BE THE REAL THING IN CHRIST JESUS! SELAH!
Article written by Lamar Carnes with help from Paul David Tripp and his meditations!